With Thanksgiving and Christmas behind us, it’s time for us to get up and move our bodies. Watch this video to figure out why.
Many of the diagnoses I treat in my profession as a physical therapist are preventable. Sometimes all it takes is moving your body. There are 3 reasons to keep your body moving.
3 Reasons to Keep Your Body Moving
1. Enjoy a Healthy Life
2. Keep a Sharp Mind
3. Live a Longer Life
Newton Laws of Motion embodies the following thought:
“A body in motion stays in motion.”
Not only would I like to provide 3 reasons to keep your body moving, but I also would like to share 10 ways of keeping your body moving before, during, and after work.
1. Park far away from the entrance of your job (You may have to get to work just a little earlier, but you start off your morning with activity.)
2. Take the stairs (This is a great idea, unless you work on the 131st floor. Then you should take the elevator to about the 121st floor and walk the rest)
3. Take frequent standing breaks (Five minutes of standing for every thirty minutes of sitting.)
4. Walk during lunch (Walk 25% of your lunch time)
5. Work out after work (Do something you love to do like dancing, Jazzercise, Pilates, Yoga, etc.)
6. Walk at a park
7. Walk your dog
8. Jumping rope (Jump rope for five minutes a day.)
9. Chair squats (Perform about 20-30 repetitions, 2-3 times a day)
10. Play with your children (Chase, wrestle, and play sports with your kids)
There are many other ways of giving your body the activity it desperately needs. At the end of the day, it is all about doing something you love and consistent doing that activity. You don't have to make a New Year's Resolution to do this, you can start now and get someone else involved that will hold you accountable. Share this information with them and start your fun journey of adding years back to your life.