“A challenged mind is a healthy mind.”
No research is needed to understand that people with strong and healthy minds live more fulfilling lives. There are many ways to keep your mind challenged.
Here are 18 ways to challenge your mind:
1. Read. Your brain stays sharp when you are able explore and learn new things. I love to read the Bible because it has so many life lessons. (It is a great read, I recommend it). Along with the Bible, you should read anything you can get your hands on such as newspapers, blogs, magazines, books, poems, song lyrics, etc.
2. Watch the news. It is important to know what is going on in our world. You may not think that it affects you, but our world is like a pond. If you throw a rock in the pond, the entire pond feels the impact.
3. Work your brain. Try not to use things such as calculators when your brain can be utilized effectively to do simple arithmetic, etc.
4. Play mind-stimulating games. You can play mindless games, but find a way to play games that will stimulate problem solving with your brain. Try playing games the following games: crossword puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, scrabble, anagrams, logic problems, rebuses, chess, etc.
5. Watch thought-provoking movies. I like my action movies, but I have to make time for those movies that will challenge my mind. Movies such as Good Will Hunting, Seven Pounds, A Beautiful Mind, Dead Poets Society, and Patch Adams.
6. Start a new hobby. Don’t waste any time. Start a new hobby if you have idle time on your hand. Keep your brain active and sharp.
7. Exercise your body. Research has proven that exercise helps with the healthiness of the brain. Exercise increases blood-flow and oxygenates the brain. You can accomplish this many ways. Here are just a few:
- Jump roping
- Tai Chi
- Yard work
8. Listen to inspiring music. I love all kinds of music, but Classical music is on way to spark my creativity.
9. Study a foreign language. Research has ben done on the benefits of knowing another language. That research also made a direct correlation between increased pay and how many languages a person knows.
10. Travel. When you travel you get the opportunity to experience various cultures, which will also challenge your mind.
11. Go back to school. A great way to challenge your brain is going back to school to get that degree you have always wanted. It will give you better skills and boost your career.
12. Eat healthy. Certain foods are great brain foods. Foods with antioxidants, olive oils, whole grains, onion, and avocado are known to give the body and brain health benefits. Some other foods include fish, fruits, and veggies. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but it is also considered the best meal for the brain too.
13. Supplement your brain. Please discuss the use of supplements with your medical doctor. It does have to be a pill, but there are many forms of supplements that can help your brain. Certain supplements have been found to be healthy for the brain such as Omega-3, green tea, vitamin B, water, Kombucha, vitamin E, vitamin C, Matcha, grape seed extract, and lecithin.
14. Meditation. Meditation has a big role to play in challenging our minds. It allows us to focus and relieve our stress, which helps to challenge our minds.
15. Smile. The more you smile; you will discover yourself developing a new positive demeanor.
16. Get sleep. Sleep helps to rejuvenate the brain and also helps us think quicker. See 9 Benefits of Getting a Good Night’s Sleep (click link).
17. Volunteer your time. Volunteering helps others get places they are unable to get to themselves. Volunteer gives you a sense of humility, which is great for our brains.
18. Join a book group. Hear how others think. Discuss great topics and amazing books in these groups that will change your mind forever.