I’ve been on an incredible journey of learning and developing my leadership skills. Since I was a child, I have always been curious about human behavior and leadership. I have watched, listened, interviewed, and studied many diverse leaders. These leaders have poured into my leadership. I want to share 5 important leadership lessons I have learned in my journey to be best leader I can be.
1. Learning is an ongoing process. I am lifelong student when it comes to human behavior and leadership. I will never know enough. No matter how much I have mastered or developed a skill, I have discovered that there is always room to learn and grow. I plan on learning and growing until the day I die.
2. Everyone contributes to your leadership. My list of mentors is quite long. Of course, some mentors have had more of an impact on my life than others. But the growth of my leadership has come from family, children, friends, educated, uneducated, business owners, etc.
3. Nearly anyone can learn leadership. Just like anything else in life, the repetition is the key to learning. No one is born smart. No one came into this world walking and talking. No one was born reading or writing. No one is good at anything when it is done for the first time. None of us are born with these skills, but we all have been born to learn.
4. Some of the greatest leadership lessons are a result of leadership mistakes. Some of my greatest leadership lessons have been from a mistake or failure. Growth is part of the process when a mistake has been made, but in most cases these lessons are painful.
5. Leadership growth is dependent on how you response. I love the quote by Charles Swindoll that says, “Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it.” Many of the best leadership lessons have occurred in my life from my response to an experience. Everything in life is about how we respond to things.
These 5 leadership lessons are important to learn because these leadership lessons will make you a better leader. And why is being a better leader so important? Bettering our leadership is so important because leadership makes a difference. It makes a difference in the way we work, love, live, etc. Leadership is the foundation for everything we do. How we lead ourselves determines how we will lead others.
What is a leadership lesson you have learned other leaders that are looking to grow and develop themselves? Please leave a comment below or email me directly.
If you liked what you read here, subscribe here to get more on success and leadership thoughts and ideas through this blog and leadership moments with Bryant.