I’m not the one to tell you what success is because it’s different for everyone. I just want to give you a formula to achieve all the success possible within and beyond your capabilities.
Yes that’s right, I said within and beyond your capabilities.
Before you can go beyond your capabilities, you first must take advantage and achieve those things within your reach. Here’s how to tell the difference.
- Success within your capabilities. Things within our reach are goals that you can reach individually. Usually these are individual/personal goals.
- Success beyond your capabilities. To achieve success beyond your capabilities will require the help of others. You will need a team of people that are interested in growing with your vision of success.
So how do you define success? And are you currently attempting to achieve success within or beyond your capabilities?
Making Your Success a Reality
Some people spend all their lives searching for success. I have discovered that many people are searching for someone else’s success or they are just unwilling to invest in themselves to make their own success a reality.
This will not be you. You will achieve everything within and beyond capabilities if you will add these 3 tools to your arsenal.
1. Strengthen your foundation.
I am always searching for ways to increase my skills as a leader. How would you like to build your house on a weak foundation? The foundation is the groundwork in which your framework of your success will rest, so you will need a strong foundation. You will enjoy more success with a strong foundation.
American songwriter David Allan Coe shared an interesting thought about having a reliable foundation. Coe said, “It is not the beauty of a building you should look at; its the construction of the foundation that will stand the test of time.”
It is critical to your success to have a strong and reliable foundation. There are several ways to strengthen your foundation. Here are 3 ways to strengthen your foundation.
1) Trust in God. I wouldn’t be the leader I am without my belief in God. It just makes sense to go back to the roots of all creation when it comes to possessing your success. There are many important questions to consider when you are attempting to build a successful foundation such as who you are, where you are, and where do you plan on going. I believe what makes us so unique is how we were created and what we were created to do. All of this comes from our belief in God.
2) Read. What books or periodic publications are you currently reading? You can never read enough. Reading is a window for our eyes to explore our world’s diversity and history. At the end of the day, this is one of the greatest keys to your success. Reading expands our minds by bringing experience, insight, and wisdom beyond our capabilities. In addition, we develop more of a hunger for success the more we read.
3) Find a mentor. Who is asking you tough questions to help you with your success? A mentor will challenge you in ways that you will not think about challenging yourself. It is great having another perspective when you climbing the ladder of success.
2. Be calm and consistent.
I always say that it is guaranteed that any time you are attempting to anything great, you will experience resistance and trials that will challenge you. How do you handle pressure? How you handle these challenges will determine how successful you will be. It is important to be calm and consistent through these challenges. Former chairman and CEO of Thomas Nelson Publishers Michael Hyatt said, “Nothing worthwhile comes easily. But if you have a great idea and are persistent, you will eventually succeed.” Some people give up too soon. Nothing is perfect, but if you will keep working and developing your skills as a leader you will find your success.
3. Care about people.
Individually you will never be able to accomplish what you can achieve with a team. One of the greatest entrepreneurs of all-time Steve Jobs said, “Great things in business are never done by one person. They’re done by a team of people.” The reason why teamwork makes the dream work is because you will need momentum to ride the wave of success. Building a team to achieve your dream starts with you caring for people. Leadership expert John C. Maxwell put it this way, “People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.”
So how do you define success? Your success is waiting for you to start taking steps towards it. Start taking baby steps if you feel your success journey is overwhelming. If whatever you consider being success is easy to achieve, achieve it and then create bigger goals and dreams.
If you liked what you read here, subscribe here to get the latest ideas on success and leadership.