“Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.” - Pele
Do you know what you need to make your life successful?
There are many things we believe we need, but they aren’t necessities to our success. In the upcoming year, I don’t want you to be caught without the necessary tools and resources to make your New Year a success.
There isn’t a “magic pill” to being successful. It is all about having the right resources. Most of the resources are within all of our grasps, but it is your choice to take advantage of these resources.
German-born theoretical physicist Albert Einstein said, “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” At some point, we have all have been guilty of the old adage of “trying to put a square peg in a round hole.” What do you need to change in the New Year?
In a previous blog, I shared 3 sure ways to have a successful new year. In that same blog, I also shared a troubling statistic. The statistical research institute Statistic Brain stated, “45% of Americans usually make New Years Resolutions” and only “8% of those people are successful in achieving their resolutions.” Here are eight resources you will need in the New Year to make it the best year of your life.
1. God. My greatest resource that has led to many of my successes begins and ends with God. Whatever you beliefs may be just remember the words from Proverbs 1:7, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.”
2. Positive Attitude. A positive attitude allows you to envision your success. American psychologist Joyce Brothers said, “A strong positive self-image is the best possible preparation for success.”
3. Hope. I cannot imagine life without hope. An anonymous writer said, “Hope is the oxygen of the soul. Even when pain seems like its got you in a chokehold, keep your hope up and you will breathe again.” Hope helps to keep our minds optimistic about our opportunities.
4. Confidence. You have to believe in yourself. If you don’t believe in yourself, who will? Confidence is a key component to your success in 2017. Jamaican political leader, publisher, journalist, and entrepreneur Marcus Garvey said, “With confidence, you have won before you have started.”
5. Humility. Humility is one of the key components to your success. Without humility, success may destroy you. American basketball coach Rick Pitino said, “Humility is the true key to success. Successful people lose their way at times. They often embrace and overindulge from the fruits of success. Humility halts this arrogance and self-indulging trap. Humble people share the credit an wealth, remaining focused and hungry to continue the journey of success.”
6. Goals. Goals are a map for you to reach your desired success destination. Goals help to shape your success. It was American author Melody Beattie that expressed, “The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals.” See how to write goals in 3 sure ways to have a successful new year. What are your goals for the New Year?
7. Accountability partner. It is great to have goals, but you also need an accountability partner. It may be a spouse, friend, business partner, sibling, or a mentor. But you will need someone to hold you accountable for accomplishing your goals. Who will be your accountability partner?
8. Theme. Last but certainly not least, you need a theme for your New Year. For an example, in 2016 my word / theme was intentionality. I was intentional with time, relationships, growth & development, finances, business dealings, and service. What will be your word or theme for 2017? Email me, send me a tweet on Twitter, or leave a comment on Facebook with your word or theme for 2017.
Many times we feel we need more money, time, and energy. There is nothing wrong with having more of any of these things, but the key to your success will be taking advantage of the resources you already have within your reach.